Wednesday 31 March 2010

Leaving something tiny behind

‘We love each other most when we are poor,’ said boyfriend Maiyuu, talking about our relationship. ‘Do you agree?’

‘I do, but I don’t know why – perhaps because, when we have no money, we have to rely on each other,’ I said.

It was the day before pay day, traditionally a day of penury in our household.

Okay, I exaggerate. But I had run out of money. I borrowed B300 from a work friend late last week.

Yesterday, Maiyuu borrowed another B300 from a woman friend.

After visiting his friend, he turned up at home with a beer for me, and offered me B250 from his borrowed money.

That means he was proposing to keep just B50 for himself, after the cost of beer was deducted.

How sweet. I let him keep it all, as I still had B100 to my name – enough to buy drinks for Mr Ball after he finished work.

Later in the day, Maiyuu went out to buy coffee, as he noticed I had run out.

That was another thoughtful gesture on his part.

Today we are flush again, which means we can go back to being as tense and argumentative over money as we usually are.

Oh, well. It was nice while it lasted.

-
Maiyuu and I are reminiscing about the 10 years we have spent together.

In the early days, we would take a taxi to the YWCA in inner-city Sathorn - where we first met, coincidentally - and play badminton on courts in the building next door.

That was years ago, and we haven’t played anything together since.

‘How about we start badminton again – there are courts just nearby, and racquets don’t cost much,’ he said.

‘I feel like exercise,’ he said.

I'm all for it. Getting to know the boyfriend again after all these years can’t be such a bad thing.

Our lives don’t amount to much, after all. I mean that in a positive way, of course.

As Clint Eastwood and Jamie Cullum put it in Gran Torino, ‘Your world is nothing more than all the tiny things you've left behind.’

How sad, but true. And most of those things we left behind comprise what we managed to do for other people, rather than ourselves.

‘So tenderly
Your story is
Nothing more
Than what you see
Or what you've done
Or will become
Standing strong
Do you belong
In your skin
Just wondering...’

Watch the MV here. The theme song, including Clint's gravely voice, is here.

2 comments:

  1. 10 comments:

    lance30 March 2010 at 21:59
    maybe your infatuation with mr ball will strengthen your relationship with maiyu...this is nice...i liked this update it seemed so positive...you can now press maiyu to go out more..do more things...take care of him...he takes good care of you

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer31 March 2010 at 08:57
    I hope my relationship with Maiyuu, and the one I have with Ball, will complement each other eventually. At the moment they clash awkwardly at times.

    I, too, hope I can draw closer to Maiyuu, as he's a loyal and trustworthy boyfriend. Thank you for your kind wishes.

    ReplyDelete

    Michael Lomker31 March 2010 at 18:25
    That was a powerful film. Clint Eastwood is quite a talent.

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer31 March 2010 at 19:11
    He says it's his lasting acting role.

    It's one of the best films I have seen him in, so I hope he changes his mind.

    ReplyDelete

    TAO1 April 2010 at 04:21
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with your relationship with Maiyuu; in fact, its a very mature relationship.

    Maiyuu knows that you may become infatuated with others but that you will remain true to the relationship and thus he finds humor in your 'Don Quixote' like infatuations...

    You in turn constantly find things that are lacking in your relationship and justify your infatuations with others to the fact that 'something is missing' in your current relationship...

    The truth of the matter is that you and Maiyuu will be a couple for the rest of your lives and nothing will change...

    Happy Anniversary!

    Your relationship with Maiyuu is what it is and obviously you both are satisfied with things as they are!

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bkkdreamer1 April 2010 at 06:11
    Chairman Tao: Thank you. I think it works well too, though I find little things wrong with it almost every day.

    I am sure Maiyuu finds little things wrong with me, too, such as my habit of leaving on the water heater every time I use the shower.
    But we persevere.

    Thais in their 20s are too gorgeous not to have one close by at all times. That's one reason I like my little infatuations.

    I know Maiyuu has pursued casual dalliances outside the home too, and I have no objection to that.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous1 April 2010 at 12:18
    badminton is egalitarian in that you don't have to be 7 ft tall or weigh 350 lbs to compete. our department regularly binges on playing, and it's fun and healthy, so i really hope you and maiyuu get into it again.

    pleeeeeease be careful with that shower heater. too often in thailand, the guy on the construction crew with a screwdriver in his back pocket qualifies as an "electrician." things as simple as proper grounding, let alone a GFCI, can be scary. some of us selfishly look forward to your column continuing. :-P

    -- D.

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer1 April 2010 at 20:01
    Good. I've just hit the 100kg mark, which depresses me. But I can walk, even run. I hope we make a go of it, too.

    Thank for the advice regarding the shower. We are also in process of changing the wires for a set of lights in the living room.

    After attempting to do the job himself - without success - Maiyuu says he'll get in an electrician from the condo to do it instead.

    Good move. I don't want to have to pay for a funeral this month. Let it be someone else's problem instead!

    ReplyDelete

    Joyce Lau1 April 2010 at 23:09
    Considering the images you usually use on this blog, I found the juxaposition of the Clint Eastwood ones to be hilarious. I mean, talk about an older white guy and a young Asian. (I know that's not what the movie was about, but still...)

    Good to see blogs that aren't too serious about themselves.

    This was the first post that I've been able to read at work, without someone wondering why I'm looking at photos of scantily clad hot men. ;)

    Badminton sounds fun. I think it's good to re-discover the relationship sometimes. Marc and I sometimes go on "dates," like we did before we were married, to break up the ol' daily routine.

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer2 April 2010 at 08:44
    I'm the old fart, and Ball is the young guy.

    Badminton is fun, and is one of the few sports I can play without suffering loss of form. I am too 'unco' (uncordinated) for most sport.

    I am looking forward to getting to know Maiyuu again. I hope to find qualities there which I had forgotten.

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.