Monday 7 June 2010

Uncorrupted


I am slowly throttling life out of my relationship with Mr Ball and his family, because I don’t like the direction it is taking.

Why buy things if they are not wanted? Why buy the brown stuff if it is abused? Why give myself heartache worrying about teens who are not my own?

A week ago, Ball drank too much, and argued with his girlfriend, Jay. His harsh words reduced her tears. She vowed it was time to leave.

None of that might have mattered, except that I had paid for the alcohol which led to Ball disgracing himself and making life a misery for his partner.

His mother had asked me over to their place, and suggested I buy a 700ml bottle rather than the usual half-size, as she and a friend would share it with us.

In the event, Mum and her friend disappeared for the night.

I siphoned some of the stuff off, intending to take it home. But not enough, it turned out.

Ball knocked back the alcohol furiously on an empty stomach. Two hours into our session, he had forgotten himself, and started to argue with his girlfriend.

‘You hang over me all the time...I need my freedom, but you won’t let me go,’ he complained, swearing at his girlfriend.

The words hurt. Jay cried. I tried to console the poor girl, but it didn’t work.

‘He doesn’t love me. I have done my duty, trying to keep him away from this stuff....but he thinks I am merely interfering,’ she said in tears.

Jay fled to their bedroom upstairs.

‘You are lucky to have her. Jay wants you to quit with good reason – look what happens!’ I said. ‘Most women would have walked away by now.’

Ball, however, was on a roll.

Having tasted freedom away from his ever-watchful girlfriend, he wanted more.

He asked me for a loan of B200 so he could carry on partying with a group of slum friends.

They intended travelling to a friend’s house to celebrate a birthday. A taxi fare there and back would be needed.

After calling his mother asking for permission to go, he managed to obtain some money.

As he begged me for the money, dribble fell of his chin. I wiped it off. He had no idea what he was doing, and was in no state for going outdoors.

I left, wondering if he would manage to get back safely. If he didn’t, I would have only myself to blame.

He visited his friends nearby, but didn’t make it to the party, because he was too far gone. About midnight, he staggered home, vomited, and fell into bed.

Was it just another episode of reckless teenage self-indulgence? Of course, but it wouldn’t happen if a few rules were set down at the outset.

The next morning I visited his place with a mock contract I had drawn up setting down those rules. If he wanted to drink with me in future, he would do as I wanted.

I had called his mother to discuss the contract.

Ball, who was playing with the toddlers when I arrived, turned his back on me. I asked him to leave the toddlers alone, and look at me until I had finished speaking.

His mother and girlfriend did not seem at all flustered that Ball had made a fool of himself the night before.

Mum had gone out, but must have heard what happened. Jay was there, despite her earlier threat to leave.

They were pretending nothing had happened – but why?

‘Overseas, parents with troubled children offer them a contract to sign setting down the rules they must follow if they want to enjoy the benefits of the privileges they desire,’ I said.

Most of that would be lost on Mr Ball, who had barely recovered from the excesses of the night before, but never mind.

The contract had six clauses. Unable to sleep, I had written it out by hand early that morning.

1: I will not drink to excess.

2. If I do, I will not pick fights with my girlfriend.

3. I will eat before, during or after...I will not drink the stuff on an empty stomach.

4. If I drink at home, I cannot carry on elsewhere when it’s done.

5. I will not ask to borrow money to carry on indulging.

6. No one has the right to stop me. But if I break the rules, I can be punished.


Ball listened attentively. His mother chipped in with a couple of feeble comments, telling me it was unlikely to work, as Ball was too stubborn.

I explained how it I wanted it to work.

‘Mum may refuse to buy your favourite food or grocery item for a day, a week or whatever, depending on how badly you breach the contract,’ I said.

‘I won’t ask you to sign. I just want you to know how it is done.’

Still on a high from the night before, Ball helped himself to a can of beer from the fridge.

He slapped his knees in pleasure. I don't know why he was so happy, especially when I had just given him a ticking off.

An hour later, Mum had gone out, and the girlfriend retired upstairs. ‘I didn’t say that stuff just to embarrass you,’ I told him.

‘But I have to take responsibility if you do stupid things. For your own safety, and to spare me embarrassment, I have to lay down rules,’ I said.

‘I don’t mind. If you were my father or mother, you would have said the same thing,’ said Ball. ‘I could have met only two of those demands at the most,’ he joked, referring to the contract.

-
Since the contract episode, I have scaled down my involvement with Ball’s family.

I visit once every two days, if that. My stays are brief.

Previously I might have visited several times a day, depending on when Ball’s mother called, and what I was doing.

Now that I have laid down rules, I feel a burden has been lifted.

It is up to Ball whether he follows them, and up to members of his family whether they care.

I laid down a few rules for myself at the same time. Don’t buy him things, and don’t give money to his mother.

In most cases he doesn’t welcome the gifts; they just make him feel awkward. As for Mum, she likes to spend the money I give her for Ball on other things.

Ball has always wanted us to be mere drinking friends, which is how we started out when we met at carer R’s ya dong stand.

While he might need a father figure in his life, he doesn’t appear to want it from me.

I have scaled down my visits because I am worried about what Ball’s neighbours are saying. I am more than twice his age. How must it look, with me haunting his living room every day?

True, all of Ball’s ya dong friends, including me, were years older than himself.

But that is the way with drink. Our shared interest in alcohol conquers all other differences.

Ball’s mother likes me visiting. I can’t be sure that Ball also wants me there, however, and in any event he should spend less time drinking, and more time getting to know his girlfriend.

He has no work, and spends his days rattling about home, looking after the toddlers, and alternately bickering and playing with his girlfriend.

In the absence of anything to worry about on his behalf, I find we have little in common.

I turn up, chat to Mum, we share a couple of beers.

After having barely exchanged a word with her son, I go home.

-
I was too needy, as everyone here can see.


I wanted Mr Ball to give my one sign, just one, that he valued my presence as an older figure in his life.

It never came, and I was wrong to expect it.

Ball is a different person when he is under the influence. When he’s had too much, he pines for his Dad, and is happy-go-lucky.

When sober, he can be serious and stand-offish.

When he’s had a few, he likes me being around. When he’s hungry for it, he's happy to drink with whoever happens to provide it.

Yet I don’t believe he’s an alkie.

The alcohol helps relieve his burdens and worries, just as playing the guitar, for example, helped me get out of myself when I was young. He has found a vehicle to release his youthful pent-up emotions and fears.

‘You're not hooked. This conviction of yours that you need to drink every day is nonsense. You’re just going through a phase,’ I told him.

His mother agreed. ‘You are nowhere near that point yet,’ said Mum, who recalls the plight of Ball’s father whom she nursed though an alcohol-related illness until his death, a few years ago, in his 30s.

Those are the most important words I have spoken to Mr Ball, who tends to be fatalistic.

‘You don’t have to drink so much, and please don’t,’ I said in tears.

Mum and girlfriend Jay looked at me - in shock, I suspect.

If they didn’t know how I felt before, they do now.

Perhaps the farang had lowered himself, crying in their presence over a mere teenager.

That was another ‘watershed’ moment, as the saying goes, to emerge from our little contract meeting.

Now that I have shed tears, I no longer feel the need to prove anything.

Ball knows what I expect of him, even if his mother fails to lay down the law.

If he disgraces himself again, he has only himself to blame, as I will no longer be party to such mistakes, if I am careful.

I doubt he cares much about how I feel, but nor is that important. If nothing else, he owes a bond of good behaviour to himself.

‘You have your whole life ahead of you,’ I told him.

‘You love kids, and are lucky in that regard – even if your work life is falling apart, you will always have the children,’ I said, referring to the two toddlers of the household.

Ball dotes on them, and regards the adopted one, Nong Fresh, as his own daughter.

‘They will have grown up in a few years,’ he said sadly.

‘If some guy man ever wants to take out Nong Fresh when she is a teenager, he’ll have to get past me first!’ he said protectively.

That’s alright, I told Mr Ball.

‘By then, you will be ready to have your own kids...and as a mere friend I would l love to be around to see that day,’ I said.
-

The trousers and shirts I bought Ball for work...where are they now?

Some, he gave to his elder brother Boy, the soldier. Others lie abandoned and unloved somewhere upstairs. He hasn’t worn them since I bought them for him months ago.

A bicycle I helped buy for girlfriend Jay is also collecting dust upstairs. I doubt it has ever been used.

At least he has never stopped being himself, despite my well-meant, but meddling presence. I liked to think of it as helping. My more critical readers regard it as interference.

Regardless, it failed to change him. Well done, lad.

Perhaps my motives were not so malign after all.

-
I still meet Ball occasionally.

We drink a little, make small talk, and I leave.

It won’t grow much beyond that, I suspect.

We come together on special occasions, such as family excursions to the supermarket, or even in moments of crisis, such as when idle taxi driver Lort suffered a seizure and had to be carted to hospital.

For the rest of the time, however, we appear to just drift.

Ball rarely leaves home without the girlfriend. I asked him why. He says it is part of being Thai.

‘Once you have a girlfriend, you can't let her do much unaccompanied outside home. Nor will she let me do much,’ he explained once. Each worries the other will find someone else.

It is primitive, childish stuff, but that's what they think.

Ball has his demons, which drink and caring for the kids of the household help relieve.

If I stick around, it is as a drinking friend, trying to disguise the way I really feel.

I have to put away my desires to care for him as an uncle or father. I have to forget pity and compassion; they were misplaced.

4 comments:

  1. 20 comments:

    dr love6 June 2010 at 20:15
    i see the dreamer is slowly recovering from his debilitating illness

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer7 June 2010 at 01:55
    Dr Love: It was indeed debilitating. Any cures, doctor?

    Anon: I was indeed a fool, and it's painful to admit. And here I was, thinking I was so clever...

    ReplyDelete

    ironbark7 June 2010 at 02:54
    All you write is like a deja vu. My experiences with my "Boy Wonder aka nogoodboyo" are so same same but different.

    The person needing to learn a lesson is you my friend, not young Mr Ball.

    Perhaps you should make somesort of contract with your long suffering bf in order to wean you off your addiction to Ball and his family

    ReplyDelete

    jok7 June 2010 at 03:43
    "I was indeed a fool, and it's painful to admit. And here I was, thinking I was so clever..."

    CONGRATULATIONS!

    welcome back to yourself! that family is typical all over thailand. they are not actually "suffering" by their standards. it's their way of life. yours in very different, of course. they probably find your ways strange. so i think you should stop disappointing yourself and just let them be. you can still visit them; don't stop that. just watch and enjoy the company and don't offer anymore advice or try to change them. they probably have been wanting to tell you to stop "interfering" but feel bad to tell it in your face. remember the all important "face"?

    chork dee, na.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous7 June 2010 at 07:45
    i am glad you put things in perspective....you where very hopefull you could make a difference in this family...could you possibly make a self improvement contract for your drinking habits and relationship with maiyu...

    hope maiyu is ok

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer7 June 2010 at 09:27
    Jok: Thank you. I will have to stop being Dad to Mr Ball. I found myself telling him a couple of times tonight that he must eat something before bed.

    I feel I ruined a perfectly natural 'friendship' moment by trying to be something I am not.

    Anon: Absurd? I wanted him to know how far he could go when drinking in my company, because I am not prepared to take responsibility for a teenager's behaviour in an environment where no rules are set down.

    You sound like yet another morbid reader who portrays everything in the starkest of black and white terms.

    Anon 2: No, thanks.

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7 June 2010 at 11:19
    I would agree with ironbark. Why is this loser Ball the main focus of your life. Is Maiyu your b/f or not? Surely he should be the number one story, thats if there's anything interesting to write about.
    I think many readers can see that this slum family is not quite suitable to be what most of us would call your adoptive family, something we know that you've been searching for for a long time, including the Mom figure who you quite obviously miss in your life.
    Of all the families you had to pick that one. Are you not getting the message from Ball.
    There are some nice Thaiboys out there so why are you wasting your time on this one.

    As for encouraging Ball to drink I find that appalling. We all know that thats not going to get you even closer to him. Frankly the desire to want to drink every single day sounds wrong and unhealthy to me. I find it shocking that young Thaiboys have become alcoholics even before they've turned into young men.

    What your readers really want to hear is that you have woken up, come to your senses and moved on. Concentrate on Mayui. Or is that just another relationship of convenience. We rarely ever hear of any loving moments of intimacy with him.

    Richard.

    ReplyDelete

    dr love7 June 2010 at 12:47
    you are suffering from the same disease. fools

    ReplyDelete

    Michael Lomker7 June 2010 at 16:18
    I think its the bizarreness of the relationships that keeps people reading this blog. A platonic relationship with the guy that you live with? Carrying on with Ball, trying to be a 'fatherly' figure to a guy that you're obviously attracted to. I think we've seen photos of you before and you aren't particularly old nor fat.

    Are there exciting sexcapades that don't make the blog or are you chaste? Have you had a normal boyfriend before Maiyuu? Before Thailand?

    It'd probably best to not answer since the blog wouldn't be half as intriguing if we knew the answers. lol.

    The utter ease of finding companionship in Thailand is what makes your life so mystifying.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous7 June 2010 at 16:49
    Dear BKK, A bit of logical thinking and sanity is coming back to you. This alcoholic teenager will die of liver chirrosis very young. I hope that you now realize that giving a teenager alcohol is a crime in most nations.
    Fran

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer7 June 2010 at 17:41
    Richard: I can see nuanced arguments are beyond you.

    Dr love: You are short and to the point.

    Michael Lomker: When we met, he wanted a father figure. He talked about little else (go back and read the early posts, if you like). Later, the novelty wore off.

    You said:

    'The utter ease of finding companionship in Thailand is what makes your life so mystifying.'

    I have never been drawn to meeting people in bars, and yet that's where most foreigners find their partners, I suspect.

    Fran: Grow up, dear. Another morbid black and white reader. As for that last sentence, it's absurd. He's almost 20, is taking the stuff in the privacy of his own home, and with his mother's consent!

    Sometimes I wonder if you people have ever visited Thailand and even stepped out your own back door.

    ReplyDelete

    dr love7 June 2010 at 18:29
    the doctor is sick of your pansy shit. live, spunk, die. btw, i am rather tall and have lovely cushions

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bkkdreamer7 June 2010 at 18:32
    Here's an excerpt from an email I sent to a friend. I just thought I'd 'share', to borrow that awful American phrase.

    -

    'My most recent post, which took ages to write, was a waste of time. So few readers respond to what they find in the body of the posts...they
    just want to get things off their chest.

    'Some of their comments are absurd. No matter how many times I deny Ball has a problem with the brown stuff, readers insist he is an alcoholic.

    'Were these people never teenagers themselves?

    'No matter how many times I say that the story is about more than just Ball, but the rest of his family as well, readers insist the only
    reason I am there is because of him; that I lust after him; and that any caring role I performed was bogus and merely designed to get him into bed.

    'Another reader keeps hammering me for giving him booze. Last time she was in Thailand, she obviously didn't notice just how much Thai men
    drink.

    'Boozing is a national pastime, along with English football, and gambling.'

    -

    Phew! I feel so much better, now that I have 'shared'.

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer7 June 2010 at 18:33
    Dr Love: I am pleased to see you have come out of the closet.

    ReplyDelete

    dr love7 June 2010 at 18:48
    has been balls out fuckally'all since you met him, buying smart footwear, just-so shirts and frowning at your sad green ass. kiss kiss

    ReplyDelete

    Jokim11 June 2010 at 01:44
    I understand you. I am in love with a Thai too, and I cannot stop it, no matter what I try. All that advice; Find someone new is well meant, but it's just not that easy.
    When you start to be rational, and this leads to things like that 'contract' I ask myself if you really understand Thais, as I thought before. As you describe Ball and his attitude to work, which is also like a contract thing, how could you even think for a moment this 'contract' is a good idea.
    The one you really need is neither your bf nor ball, it is another vone and you will find him after you learned to be more Thai in your thinking. For that you need all that you are going through now. Thats your way to continue ...

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer11 June 2010 at 17:22
    Jokim: Most readers appear to have misunderstood the purpose of that contract.

    It was intended to remind him that there are boundaries to his behaviour. He gets so few reminders at home; the day after that episode, his family was carrying on as if nothing had happened.

    That's alright for them perhaps, but I had spent the night worried sick about what he had done.

    I do not want to be held responsible for his excesses, and I want him to stay safe.

    We don't mention it now, except maybe to joke about it.

    As for your comment about not understanding Thais, the process of getting to know Thais is not about abandoning things which as a westerner I hold dear.

    It's about appreciating the differences, compromising where necessary - and taking a farang-style stand over this or that issue if I think the occasion warrants it.

    I'm not afraid to be me, as I am confident the Thais still accept me that way, and in fact even expect it.

    I give them many good laughs, and I am sure the contract episode was a cause of some enjoyment too.

    That's fine with me. I don't know what readers are getting so worked up about.

    Are you saying Thais don't respond to direction like anyone else? That I should just drink, be merry, and forget about any responsibility I have to them or myself?

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jokim12 June 2010 at 02:27
    Thank you, BKK.
    No, I am not saying you should imitate Thai style to a bigger extent. It would be absurd to ask you to not to be you. I did not mean that. You are very right to say the Thais expect it and accept you.
    What I had in mind was: There must be more effective ways of changing things in a particular direction than the western 'direct' approach, which many times only gave you headaches. It always depends on the person and the situation. I have no solution for you.
    I mean, to be more successful in your efforts you could try a more subtle approach, Thai style. Not all Thais have no responsibility. I know some who are masters in changing a situation into the desired direction by subtle means.

    Everybody wants something, money is just a substitute for it, as you can exchange it for whatever someone wants. For what the money is spent will tell you very much about that particular person.

    And gives you ways of influence.

    Many times I failed because I did not really know what somebody's real dreams were. I just thought, he would need this or that, and I was wrong all the time.

    btw, I also learn from your blog and it's fascinating reading for me

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous30 June 2010 at 17:20
    Vipassana meditation is big in thailand right? Maybe you could get him to do that and he would lose his interest in drinking?
    young monk kinda thing

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer30 June 2010 at 17:52
    Do you really think the solitary appeal of meditation, wherever that lies, could compare with the social (and chemical) buzz of drinking alcohol?

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.