Monday 21 August 2006

Scarce as a kathoey monk





My partner Maiyuu spent the weekend at a temple meditating. He says he was stressed, and needed time out in a temple to sit, meditate, and regain his strength.

He sent me a text message yesterday telling me about his temple sojourn, which at the time of writing is not yet over.

At dawn, he rises and accompanies a monk out on his alms round, where kind people fill the monk’s bowl, and in return get a prayer. The monks and their helpers can eat lunch, but after that must fast. In early evening, Maiyuu helps the monks clean the temple.

He did not have to cut off his hair, he told me, but while he is staying at the temple must wear white. I wonder if he followed the fashion example set by the young gay monks above. They have adapted a monk's formal attire so they still manage to look gay, wrapping their saffron robes about them tightly in revealing kimino style.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.