Sunday 21 January 2007

Karaoke adventures (part 1)


A lonely gay guy, a Thai aged in his 30s, decided he liked the look of our group last night. He wanted to go home with someone.

Anyone in our group. It could have been me, or the other three guys.

First, he offered to take me home. Then, when I said no, he asked kathoey Bom, and two straight friends, Dong, and Gap.

Mr Lonely Gay was aged in his 30s, with a wide smile, almost a smirk. He refused to take no for an answer.

In the West, straight men dislike being hit on by gays, and usually tell them where to go. Here, sexual identity is not such a big part of a person's life. For my friends, he was a Thai just the same, or maybe they saw him as a lonely soul. So they started talking to him.

Mr Lonely was sitting alone in a karaoke shop when we turned up. At first I mistook him for a taxi driver when he asked me where I lived. In the gloom I could barely see him. 'I will take you home,' he said.

An hour later, he stood beside our table and told me it was time to go. The others talked to him, but in the din I could not hear.

When we left soon after, Mr Lonely followed us out, as we returned to Mum's shop, about 50m away. At Mum's shop, he accepted my offer of a beer, where the wheedling and cajoling began again.

'Come home with me.'

I turned him down a second time, and asked him not to make trouble.

The visitor looked annoyed, so he turned to my young friend, Dong.

'You know he's gay,' he said spitefully, referring to me. His gaydar was working well, as we had barely talked to each other.

'Pee, is that true?' Dong asked, though he did not look too worried.

I met Dong at Mum's shop a few hours before. He persuaded me and kathoey Bom to sing karaoke at a shop down the way, which is where we came across Mr Lonely. After leaving there, we returned to Mum's shop, where I had left my belongings.

I brushed off Dong's question, as he does not need to know if I like guys.

now, see part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.