Wednesday 26 December 2007

Sad, lonely gay? (3)

 His grandmother on his father's side has the money. She is an inveterate gambler, but thankfully, appears to win more than she loses.

To reach the inside of her place, a visitor must pass several steel doors. She has put them there to give herself enough time to hide the cards and other gambling evidence.

Not that she need worry much. The last time I visited, a policeman in uniform had joined her gambling circle.

The grandmother refuses to give Maiyuu access to his share of the estate, and Maiyuu is too proud to ask.

He won't go to see her, nor his uncles and aunts. Now, he tells me, he wants to cut ties with his sister as well.

If something were to happen to me, he might be forced to return and make amends. But while he lives with me, he can forget his family, and do whatever he likes.

Maiyuu tells me that his grandmother does not approve of his gay lifestyle, so she is unlikely to part with the money before she dies. But unless he renews contact with his family, the estate to which he is entitled will probably end up with someone else.

Family members are supposed to help each other, not shun those who fail (or refuse) to fit in.

But Maiyuu is just as much at fault. He and his sister are only children. If he is to have any chance at reintegrating with family, it would be through her.

Where once they were reasonably close, now each is busy pretending that the other does not exist. Over what - money?

now, see part 4

2 comments:

  1. Sorry, Maiyuu might have the right idea...

    Many years ago I worked overseas and I gave my mother a checkbook to the account where I deposited all my earnings in (she was not on the signature card).

    Well, once when I wrote a check for some investments in excess of $100,000 I eventually was informed that the check bounced due to insufficient funds.

    Found out that my Mom was using the account as a way to hide expenses from my Father! Eventually my Father said that when they died they would pay me with their home.

    When he passed away 10 years ago we found out that he had stated that in his will and he even had a lien placed on the house in my name. None of which I was aware of.

    Well, my sister finds out and threatens me with a lawsuit; we even ended up in court where it was found that my signature was not on the lien and I pulled up all the cancelled checks that my mother had written and signed in her own name...(she was meaning to tell my sister but just never got around to it...)

    I didn't hire an attorney and at the end of the day I gave my mother back her house free of charge...

    I had no intention of asking for my money back nor did I ever plan on putting my mother on the street...

    But my sister wanted that money sooooo badly; and now she has it and she has my mother as they both live with each other...

    Money destroys alot of things...including families

    ReplyDelete
  2. Money always first, family ties second. - BlackStallion

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.