Thursday 20 March 2008

Thai ATM conspiracy

Do people become more absent-minded when they use ATM machines?

Maybe they have electronic rays coming off them, lulling our senses.

A few weeks ago, I used an ATM outside a bank in the market where I live in Talad Phlu.

I forgot the PIN number for my card. After I entered it incorrectly three times, the ATM machine swallowed it.

Today, after retrieving the card, I visited the same ATM machine again to withdraw money.

This time I was not the forgetful one, but the person who used it before me.

The screen was not blank, nor did it contain a welcome message, as it normally does while in stand-by mode waiting for someone to use it.

'Do you want a receipt,' it asked.

At the bottom of the screen, I read a message saying the balance in the account was B2,500.

I pressed, 'No'. A battered-looking ATM card popped out.

The person who used the machine before me forget his or her card.

A more unscrupulous person could have pressed another key and withdrawn the money, as the transaction was not yet complete.

I took the card inside the bank and gave it to a security guard.

'Someone forgot this card. It was in the ATM,' I said.

Back at home, I told the story to Thai partner Maiyuu.

'The owner is lucky I am an honest farang, and not a thieving Thai,' I said.

Maiyuu laughed.

3 comments:

  1. can't take my eyes off the ball

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahahaaa. the previous posts are sooo funny.

    but, i really respect you. *hug*. you ARE a great person. cause you could have easily played foul. i hope you get many happy moments and happy fortunate in the future.

    take care.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.