Tuesday 8 April 2008

View from a Bangkok condo


Can I help you take a wash?
'Quick - I hear the guy below taking a shower. Go over to the window and look.'

Our Bangkok condo looks down on a bunch of tin-roofed houses. A young man who lives in one of the houses with his family is a favaourite of ours, especially when he takes an outside shower.

We can see him from our condo window. Sometimes I am standing there with the boyfriend, innocently admiring the sunset, when he tells me to step back, as the more serious business of man watching has called him outside.

'You're too close...he'll see,' Maiyuu tells me, and I know he has detected the young man is outside having a shower again.

The young man keeps his shorts on, so as not to offend the neighbours. The houses down there face each other, or are built close together.

He showers in a common area with a tin roof. Young men park their motorcycles there and sometimes party in the same place.

The young man lathers himself with soap, then uses a hand-held plastic water holder to tip water over his body. He scoops up the water from a large black tub.

I haven't seen him around for a while, and thought he had moved out, so was surprised to have Maiyuu tell me earnestly to get up and take a look. 

As for Maiyuu, he stayed where he was in front of the TV. I went to the window as instructed, as the boyfriend was too lazy to get up himself. Below, I saw not a handsome young guy in his 20s, but a man in his 70s.

His body was stooped over. Wearing a sarong, he was standing in the same spot taking a public shower.

My boyfriend's finely attuned hearing picked up the sound of water splashing. I couldn't hear it myself.

'It's just an old man!' I said.

'I know - I was pulling your leg,' he said. 'The young guy has gone.'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.