Wednesday 12 November 2008

Old skills revisited: Thai handyman, teacher


My partner Maiyuu may be a social hermit, but he does have practical uses. In the last few days, he has:

-Baked a cake with cherries and prunes, soaked in alcohol, which tastes similar to Christmas cake

-Fixed a leaking valve in a toilet cistern. The leak was responsible for a 10-fold increase in our water bill

-Replaced several tiles on the bathroom floor which had come loose. To do this job, he had to mix cement grouting, stick the tiles back in place, and train a fan on them until they were dry.

What have I done?

I have started teaching English to two new students, a boy and a girl, in the market where I live.

We meet in what used to be an internet shop, owned by a white-haired man in his 50s.

I taught both students on Monday, but yesterday the young man, who lives just two doors away, turned up alone.

My young friend is 13, and loves playing basketball and computer games. He wants to be a professional basketball player when he grows up - or failing that, a computer programmer.

I invited him to ask me anything about farang life which he had always wanted to know but was too scared to ask. The questions, with answers:

Q. Why are American basketball players so tall?
A: Their diet. Carbohydrates? Milk? Vegetables?

Q. Why do farang put their surnames first, Christian name second?
A: They don't, unless their names appear on a list

Q: What is an address book?
A: A list of email contacts

Q: What is airtime?
A: When a TV or radio show goes to air

Q: What is 'Lead me to your heart?'
A: Something which a guy says to a girl when he falls in love

Q: What is 'My heart belongs to you?'
A: Something else which a guy says to a girl in the first flush of love. He might change his mind later.

1 comment:

  1. Your student is cute with his questions. My Thai friend teaches English in a private language centre in BKK and makes good bucks.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.