Monday 12 January 2009

Socially dysfunctional cook


We are being pleasant to one other, so peace to our household has returned.

Maiyuu and I can withdraw affection and pretend to be uninterested in each other for only so long. Being awkward is much harder than being pleasant, so why not just be nice?

The other day I came down with 24-hour flu. The boyfriend was staying with a friend, so I didn't see him much.

I sent him two text messages saying I felt sick. He responded to both messages, but talked about other things, not the fact that I had flu.

Maiyuu is a hardy type from the provinces, who wonders why anyone would make a fuss over something as trifling as 24-hour flu.

However, given the cold and aloof demeanour which I had showed towards him in the previous 48 hours, he was also in no hurry to offer sympathy.

So, the pendulum has swung back, and we are treating each other normally again, after a silly row days before over money.

He spent the day baking: a custard slice, and a cake with lemon and figs. He also made a trip to Silom to buy groceries, and at home, made a wall decoration from an old calendar.

He also made rice soup with chicken for me last night, after we failed to phone through an order to the food place in the market in time.

As boyfriends go, he's not doing too badly. He might be dysfunctional, depressed, and socially reclusive, but at least he can cook!

Postscript: I will take a few of Maiyuu's baking treats to the new restaurant/bar I have discovered close to Mum's shop, whose owner Wirut I met last week.

If Wirut likes them, he might be interested in buying Maiyuu's baking, for sale in his shop.

Maiyuu has packed a couple of custard slices as a test sample. I might take along some of his chocolate truffles as well.

4 comments:

  1. Smart idea to promote his baking skills..it might work. But, send the tuffles to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am eating macaroni and cheese with tuna fish in it. Your Custard slices and chocolate selections sound so much better than what I am eating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! I hope the owner decides to do some business!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good luck. hope they like the custards.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.