Wednesday 11 February 2009

Sign on the dotted line


Maiyuu and I met the owner of the condo today to sign a rental contract. We can take occupancy immediately, though Maiyuu expects it will take us until the end of the month to get everything moved.

He has asked the owner to take back her microwave, small oven, TV and two mattresses, as we will use our own. She will return in a couple of days to retrieve those items and at the same time pick up a copy of my passport, which I forgot to take along with me today.

The owner turned up in a smart car, with her own driver, who accompanied us to the unit, and acted as a witness in signing the contract. Maiyuu acted as the witness on my behalf.

The owner was probably in her early 40s, though looked younger. She has two children studying in Australia, whom she will join on a visit soon. She was lovely, and I would like the chance to know her better.

-
Maiyuu is interested in supplying bakery to a shop close to our new place. 'A sister of a friend has opened her own shop nearby. I might sell her bakery,' he said today.

Maiyuu told the owner the same thing while we were inspecting the condo, which makes me hopeful that he will indeed find an outlet for his baking and cooking talents.

He has evidently chosen not to supply my friend Wirut's eatery close to Mum's shop in Thon Buri.

Once we move to the new condo, Wirut's place will be too far away to supply with bakery products.

However, I would like to continue visiting the place, as I enjoy Wirut's company, and am now getting to know his family and girlfriend's family as well.

-
The moo krata restaurant on the banks of the river
At Wirut's place last night, I received two special visitors - bloggers Bangkok Bitch and Kawadjan.

It was good to meet two prominent members of the Bangkok gay blogging establishment.

I have met BB at Wirut's place one time previously. It was my first time for meeting his Filipino friend Kawadjan.

After drinking for an hour at Wirut's shop that night, we moved to a small eating place on the banks of the Chao Phraya River, next to a well-known moo krata restaurant.

Mum's shop was empty of customers, as usual. I feel sorry for her - Mum is obviously hurt that I have stopped drinking at her place after so many years of regular custom - but I stand by my right as a customer to go wherever I like.

BB and Kawadjan are intelligent, observant, and fun. They have packed a lot into their stay here: today they might visit Siam Square, tomorrow they could be on a cold mountain top sharing an uncomfortable tent.

I am enjoying hearing their stories about life in Bangkok and their impressions of Thais.

As I prepare to cross the river back to the centre of town, which Maiyuu and I left almost nine years ago to live in the wilds of Thon Buri, I feel we are about to enter a new chapter of our lives.

I am about to return to a part of Bangkok where I have not lived since I myself was a relative newcomer to the kingdom.

It's almost as if I have a new set of eyes, like a first-time visitor to Bangkok. Who knows, BB, Kawadjan and I might get to enjoy some gay adventures on the city side of the river, too.

4 comments:

  1. nice meeting you finally! and thanks for the mention in this post. cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the lovely words, I shall add mine later.
    Looking forward to quite a few more whiskys and discussions!
    BB

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am curious, have you considered buying instead of renting? Is there an option for that in your agreement?

    It's a little late in my case but it seems a more economical option in the long run.

    OTOH: With the dark clouds forming overhead, renting may be preferable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. make sure you do the writing before the whiskys...and this time take maiyu along...

    enjoy your new place...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.