Wednesday 29 April 2009

50 baht blues, sweetened bread, life as single man

One day left before pay day, and we’re down to the last 100 baht. I felt sorry for boyfriend Maiyuu, so gave him half that amount this morning. 'I will buy a can of sweetened condensed milk,’ he said.

I wondered what exotic creation he was whipping up in the kitchen which required condensed milk. Even as our money has run out, we have still been eating well.

Yesterday, Maiyuu made three dishes, including beef curry, which we ate with rice. They kept us going most of the day.

He wasn’t baking at all, it turns out. He poured his sweetened milk on a slice of white bread (yuck), which he took with some chocolate drink.

The fridge still looks full, so we are not going without. But at times like these I recall fondly my early days in Bangkok, when I was still single, and had money to burn.

I rarely ran out of cash before pay day. A single man’s expenses are much less than those of someone who has found a mate, and Bangkok is no exception.

If I was asked to choose I would still opt for ‘married’ life with Maiyuu, even if we do encounter financial problems occasionally.

I am older now, so do not mind spending my days at home pursuing simple pleasures - reading, eating, watching television.

Apart from anything else, they are cheap. But I also get less pleasure from going outdoors than once I did.

‘Why don’t you want to go out and look at boyz?’ I hear you ask. ‘Surely you live in one of the most exciting cities of the world!’

That’s a single guy’s thing. I can’t see the point otherwise, though I could think of many better places in which to go looking for a potential mate.

1 comment:

  1. 4 comments:

    Kevo3330 April 2009 at 19:54
    Aww that's cute :)
    Sweetened condensed milk on white bread? Talk about a sugar rush! Tell him to take a can of sweetened condensed milk, poke a hole in the top, simmer it in a water bath for 3 hours and PRESTO! -Best dessert ever :P

    So as far as MY Thai Bf is concerned-
    We met 4 years ago when we both lived on campus in college. I had a Bf at the time, so we became good friends. He instantly had a "thing" for me and always wanted to be around me, lol. When my Bf and I broke up a little over a year ago, Andrew (Anuchit is his birth name)asked me to be his Bf.
    We live together full time in the house i bought last year, which we are working together on to re-build ( I bought a foreclosed house in poor condition and I'm a contractor so i know how to build) The house should be finished by June so wish me luck!
    Andrew is a great guy, he's ALWAYS smiling, which helps my generally- poor mood ALOT!
    He's currently a line cook, but has aspirations to become an architect(he failed English in college, and hasnt been able to get his degree yet :( )

    I guess those are the basics :P
    Feel free to ask more, im not good at talking about my life!

    ReplyDelete

    Kevo3330 April 2009 at 19:56
    By-the-way my spelling, grammar, punctuation is all really horrid because im so tired. Dont judge, haha

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer30 April 2009 at 20:11
    Kevo, you sound like a sweet young guy. I am sure your house will look great when it's all done.

    I hope Andrew cooks for you occasionally. Even if he doesn't, I am sure you both contribute different things to your relationship, which is a good.

    If both Maiyuu and I both liked cooking, but neither of us could do anything else to help the other, we'd have a dismal time.

    So Andrew was so besottted with you that he followed you everywhere? He was ติดตูด you, as the Thai goes. Show him that...he'll laugh.

    ReplyDelete

    Kevo331 May 2009 at 06:22
    Yes Andrew does cook for me, especially when im pulling an "all nighter" trying to get things done on the house. I'm also a skilled cook, so on weekends we have get-togethers with friends and cook for them which is lots of fun!

    I just looked up that Thai saying and yes, that describes it well! :P

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.