Thursday 11 June 2009

On a day like today, we pass the time away...

Boyfriend Maiyuu reckons I am growing old before my time.

'Shall I buy you a walking stick?' he likes to ask.

We all know that (I've said as much before). However, recently he himself has started to feel old.

Some mornings, I see him dragging his haggard frame around the condo, like an old man in search of his glasses, or maybe his mate.

'Now, where did I leave my boyfriend...I know I saw him here a moment ago!'

I opened a post I wrote back in October, called Thai life: Growing old together.

This is popular with readers, even though it deals with the cheery subject of ageing and decrepitude.

The Adsense bot has read the post, and cuts straight to the chase. It has posted an ad on the top left corner offering me help with bed wetting.

I haven't reached that point yet - reversion to childhood - though it may not be far away. When I move, the body creaks. When Maiyuu moves around, he groans.

'Ehhhhhrrrrr.'

I heard him utter that bottom-of-the-bowel groan this morning. It came from deep in his soul somewhere, as old man noises tend to do. Why? Because we're permanently tired!

It could have been the wind in the trees, back in my home country, where they have trees. But it wasn't. It was my old man boyfriend, having an aged person's moment in the kitchen.

As long as two people have each other, who needs to go out? Few places cater to people our age anyway.

'This condo is so comfortable, I can stay in all day,' I told my neighbour farang C. He looked at me askance.

As a single man, he's rarely at home, and can't understand why I don't get out more. But as a married man leading a settled life, I can't see the need to take in the sights of exciting Bangkok, rub shoulders with Thais or whatever.

Just feed me, keep that wheelchair and my adult Pampers close, and we'll be set.

In keeping with my mood, I have been listening to old songs on YouTube.

How about Jack Payne's My Baby Just Cares for Me?

'My baby doesn't care for shows [true, in Maiyuu's case].
My baby doesn't care for clothes [Not true, unfortunately]
My baby just cares for me...'

Or Dionne Warwick, with Burt Bacharach/Hal David's Walk on By?

'If you see me walking down the street,
And I start to cry,
It's only me...'

I loved Burt Bacharach when I was young. It might be my parents' influence, or maybe I was an old man trapped in a young body even back then.

Or Al Bowlly and the Ray Noble Orchestra, with Love is the Sweetest Thing?

Love is the greatest thing
The oldest yet, the latest thing
I only hope that fate may bring
Love's story to you.

A place where roses remember
And folks forget me not
What else is worth dreaming of?
Moonlight on the highway
Please lead me to love...

Let's end on an upbeat note, though I can't promise I won't return to songs from this era. Maybe I lived back then in another life. Here's Lee Morse's Yes Sir, That's My Baby!

Yes, sir,
That's my Baby,
No, sir, don't mean maybe,
Yes sir that's my baby now!

Bonus track: Lee Morse, and her Love Letters in the Sand (1931). On a day like today, we pass the time away, writing love letters in the sand...

1 comment:

  1. 6 comments:

    Lino10 June 2009 at 23:49
    30 and 40-something?

    Feeling old!

    Yikes!!!!!!

    You aren't old, more like bored and maybe a little depressed.

    I know that the relentless heat and pollution may work a number on many people but, trust me this far..you are not "old".

    ------------------------------

    Dionne Warwick's Walk On By, now that takes me back to very young childhood.

    She made three appearances on a show titled "Hullabaloo"

    From the March 14th ep (rec'd 3-9) Message to Michael:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AslYAjbbms

    Sorry about the awful quality, I have the re-release and its much better.

    This series debuted in Jan 1965 and ran 'till April '66, it was the last of the big budget primetime rock shows. It was produced at NBC'tv's Color Studio #2 which when opened in '56 was the largest color studio in No.America.

    Sadly, of the 48 episodes all but three of the videotapes were thrown out in 1977 leaving mostly these poor quality mono kinescopes.

    I was modeling and doing tv commercials back then (8yrs old) and a neighbor worked CS-2 and when he heard how much I liked the studio environment he brought me to see a taping of this show.

    After that I came to most tapings there made a lifelong friend...you may find him in one of these clips :-)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emuiQkGMc9k

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8UZHQHLpAg

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer11 June 2009 at 06:20
    Lino: It is best to approach these posts with humour.

    For some reason readers find it harder to detect humour in blog posts than they do in novels, for example.

    They seem more willing to let their imagination run riot in a novel. When they read blogs, many readers go into literal mode.

    I don't understand it, but never mind.

    The grumpy old man message from today's post is, If I want to feel old, I shall!

    Advisory: Author is using humour again.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous11 June 2009 at 10:38
    If you are frequently tired, seriously, you might find that some regular exercise habits help. It seems counter-intuitive but you will force your cells to adapt and become more energy-productive that way.

    ReplyDelete

    Wilko11 June 2009 at 10:56
    l feel 110 today! and l look it :(

    But saying 40's is not old has cheered me up.......for a while. ;)

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous11 June 2009 at 12:38
    Nina Simone's My Baby Just Cares for Me is the best version I've ever heard. Oh that voice!!! - Ian

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer11 June 2009 at 17:47
    Anon: I get exercise every day, thank you...but maybe not enough.

    Ian: I heard Nina Simone's version yesterday, Ian. It irritated me, perhaps because she wasn't old enough.

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.