Friday 9 October 2009

Western breakfast send-off, my elephant protector



Chef Maiyuu has made me a Western breakfast – a full-on affair with Paris ham, sausage, eggs, fried chips drizzled in farm honey, wholesome looking bread...

He cycled to the market this morning to buy the ingredients. Normally we eat Thai, but as I am about to go away...

Maiyuu cooks me farang food on my last days here so that while I am away, I think of Thailand.

I know...perverse.

I am going overseas to see my parents, which I do every year. On our last night, my parents and I eat Thai at a local restaurant. We eat Thai so that when I go back, I think of the country of my birth.

Yes, as I say...odd.

The last time I was there, I stole a look inside the kitchen of the farang-owned Thai restaurant we visited on our last night.

I saw a young farang man standing before a large pot. He was holding up a Thai cook book, for instructions on what to do next.

The chicken curry which came out was laced with coconut milk. I think they even added banana, to make it more 'exotic'.

Occasionally we visit Thai-owned restaurants. My parents urge me to speak in Thai to staff, but I try to avoid it, as I don’t know how good their Thai will be.

-
As a thank-you gift for my parents, Maiyuu has bought a carving in leather of an elephant, gilded in gold. Next, he will get it framed.

It took him days to find anything he liked. ‘I went to Suam Lum night bazaar. It has changed so much...I saw many more clothes sellers, though fewer tourists. But I did find the leather elephant there.'

My parents don’t want too much Thai clutter on their walls, as it reminds them of the country which took their son away.

But the elephant, hand-carved on leather, does look uniquely Thai.

If they have not yet tired of telling newcomers that their eldest son is lost to the wilds of Thailand, then they can point to the elephant and say: ‘He’s probably riding around on one of those.’

Postscript: This blog is taking a two-week break. While I am away, the moderating bar will be in place, to keep out spam. I promise to take it down as soon as I return.

1 comment:

  1. 9 comments:

    Was Once8 October 2009 at 22:34
    Perhaps your parents they have Thai food with you as a little symbol of their blessing. If they wanted you back badly they would fix your favorite childhood dish.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous9 October 2009 at 03:09
    does this mean that this blog will go into hiatus when you are away ? so sad, feel like crying

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous9 October 2009 at 03:14
    Please post the picture of the elephant crafted on leather!

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer9 October 2009 at 06:05
    Anon 1: Yes, I'm afraid so.

    Anon 2: I am thinking about that. I might post a picture once it has been framed.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous10 October 2009 at 07:19
    How long you will be gone to Farangland?
    Have a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete

    lyn10 October 2009 at 08:25
    I'm sure it tasted great, however it doesn't look appetizing at all. The sight of this, American Heart Association would probaly have a fit.

    I would still eat it though. HAHA.

    Do have a safe trip, take pictures. Share them too when you get back.

    ReplyDelete

    Kevo3310 October 2009 at 19:45
    Good luck going to see your parents! I know how hard it can be around parents who don't approve of your lifestyle.
    Give Maiyuu extra hugs before you go, he's so sweet!

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer11 October 2009 at 08:35
    Anon: About 10 days.

    Kevo33: Thank you. He is getting many hugs at the moment. We both miss each other dearly when we are apart.

    ReplyDelete

    Ray20 October 2009 at 06:18
    come back bkkdreamer. all is forgiven

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.