Wednesday 5 May 2010

Angry boyfriend, family health drama, old fears reawaken

I’m in trouble with the boss. I was hardly at home yesterday, which meant boyfriend Maiyuu had to spend many hours in his own company.

‘I don’t care if you are trying to challenge me to see how much longer I can carry on living life alone,’ he said bitterly.

I was away from early afternoon, as Ball and his family decided to visit a department store, and invited me along.

Making up our group were Mum, Ball, his girlfriend Jay, me, toddler Fresh, and a niece of Mum’s who is aged about seven.

In early evening, I returned for an hour or two, and went back to Ball’s place for a taste of the brown stuff.

In mid-evening, Mum’s partner Lort came down with a diabetes-related illness. We took him to hospital, which chewed up the rest of the evening. I returned home after 1am.

Maiyuu does not want to hear these tales of drama from the slums. When I started telling him the story, he asked me to stop.

‘Whenever you are in a bad mood, it’s usually because of something which has happened with your family over there. I don’t want to hear it, just in case I get more grief,’ he said.

I feel sorry for Maiyuu. I do not want to introduce him to Ball’s family, as they are my home away from home, but nor does he want it anyway.

He seldom invites his friends to our place, or goes anywhere. To kill loneliness, he shops for food at the supermarket.

-
The night turned out to be more adventurous than expected, when Mum’s partner, idle taxi driver Lort, had a diabetes-related fit. Mum was away, but Ball, his younger brother Beer, Jay and I were present.

Ball heard Lort cry out, and rushed into the bathroom, where he found on the floor, inert. We dragged Lort’s bulky frame onto the sitting room couch.

Earlier, he had complained of seizures in his right hand. 'I have been like this for several days. Tomorrow, I must see a doctor,’ said Lort.

Ball, who seldom talks to Lort, went to his aid, asking him about his condition, rubbing his shoulders, and massaging his hand.

‘When someone is in distress, I will help, no matter how I feel about him,’ Ball explained later.

We assumed that Lort was having problems with his arm because he had quit the ya dong.

‘You shouldn’t go cold turkey. Ease into it,’ Ball urged Lort.

For Ball, the experience of watching Lort seize up was all too familiar. His birth father died of liver failure brought on by taking too much ya dong.

He died a few years ago, but Ball still recalls clearly the symptoms of his father’s illness. ‘His body used to seize up in the same way,’ he said. ‘In his case it was worse, as he used to bite his tongue.’

Lort had two fits at home before we hauled his body out of the slum and into a passing taxi. By then, a dozen people from the slum community had joined us in the packed living room.

Mr B found smelling salts. Someone else found a thin metal spoon, which he inserted in Lort’s mouth.

As Ball tried to hold up Lort’s stiffened body on the couch, Jay and I tried to pin down Lort’s legs, and uncurl his hands.

Mum, who was playing a card game nearby, turned up. She slapped his chest, just in case his heart was giving out.

She had seen it all before too. ‘My husband was the same way. We paid so many visits to the hospital...' she said, referring to Ball's father.

'I am bored with it all now,’ she said.

We lugged Lort’s body down the slum alleyways and on to the street, where someone hailed a taxi.

Mum and the patient travelled in one taxi, while Ball, Jay, Mr B and I took another.

Ball and Beer were shaken. I rubbed their shoulders and backs to reassure them.

Jay was terrific. Five minutes before Lort’s first episode, she and Ball had fallen into an argument about the brown stuff.

I was part of it too, unfortunately, as I am the instigator who helps him indulge.

For the rest of the night, however, Jay was supportive and loving towards her boyfriend, who needed the help.

At the hospital, we were told to wait. Ball and I decided to take a drink outside, so we went for a walk.

Later, Ball lay down on a wall in the hospital driveway. At his request, I stayed with him.

Mr Ball had left home in such a hurry that he had forgotten his shoes. Every 20 minutes or so, he sent me inside to see if anything was happening. 'I feel too embarrassed to go in myself, as I am barefooted,' he said.

When we arrived, Jay filled out a patient information form. While Mum went in to ICU to talk about how she would pay for his treatment, the rest of us waited.

Two hours after Lort was admitted, nurses had moved him to a regular ward. They let us pay a visit.

The wards were full. Some of the patients were but skin and bones. Nurses had pinned sheets on them to serve as nappies.

We followed the sound of groaning from deeper inside the ward. 'That's Lort,' said Mum, recognising the sound of her partner's voice.

In the whole ward, in fact, he was the only one making any noise.

Nurses had pinned down his body to the bed with the aid of cloth stirrups. The nurses had climbed on top of his legs, and were bouncing up and down, trying to stop his body seizing up.

Lort groaned, and in animated moments, screamed. The nurses had seen it all before, perhaps; they joked with each other as they manipulated his limbs.

Lort, said Mum, had never been to see a doctor in the many years they had been together. A nurse asked about the patient.

Ball stepped in to answer most of the questions, as best he could. Mum herself knew surprisingly little about Lort: she knew his name, for example, but not his age.

The diagnosis? Lort has diabetes, the doctors said. He would have to mind his blood sugar levels, and cut down on the booze. The seizure we witnessed was not related to his coming off the ya dong, but booze had contributed to his illness.

As Mum, Mr B and Jay answered the nurse’s questions about the patient, Ball wandered over to watch the nurses, who were still trying to pin down Lort’s body.

As Ball watched Lort writing in pain, I could tell he was thinking about his father.

He was also wondering whether he would follow in Dad’s footsteps. Ball’s Mum reckons the brown stuff has entered her son's veins.

‘You have taken up where your father left off,’ she told us in the waiting room.

I put my arm across his back and held him close.

I wasn’t around when Ball’s Dad left him, but will be here for Ball and his family this time should they need support.

‘Do all drinkers end up with diabetes?’ Ball asked me nervously as we left.

‘No..it’s partly hereditary. If you look after yourself, as you have promised me you will do, the chances are remote,’ I said.

On the way home in the taxi, Jay took Ball’s head in her arms, and nursed him.

Close to home, Ball gave the driver directions, as he had done on our way to the supermarket hours before. Mum appears happy for her son to take over. He is the head of the household, and does a good job.

Mr B was sweeping the floor when we arrived; his taxi had arrived before ours.

Mum went out to buy food, so they would have something to eat before bed.

Jay asked me if I wanted to stay, but I excused myself and went home.

The day had gone on forever. We needed to calm our fears, and rest our heads.

5 comments:

  1. 17 comments:

    Anonymous4 May 2010 at 21:22
    Sorry, but once again I agree with Maiyuu, I wouldn't want to know about those other people either.It is no fun being in a relationship where the other person is away enjoying himself with another family, been there and done that. One day you will come home and Maiyuu will not be waiting there for you.. but then I wonder if that would really upset you.
    I really do think you are inconsiderate. Having read your blog for maybe 2 years, I think it is high time to work out what you want. I have read entries that tell how you go shitty when Maiyuu did have friends over, so no wonder he doesn't have them over any more. Yes, I know, it isn't all your fault, but, you do not help the situation by spending time with the slum family.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous4 May 2010 at 22:51
    I totally agree with Chris I have to say. I feel really sorry for Maiyuu. And I know, I know, we're not there, we don't know... But the dark side in me can't help but hope that this young man will set himself free, the sooner the better...
    Wouter

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous4 May 2010 at 22:53
    You moved from a larger apartment.. where Maiyuu had more room to entertain his friends.. to a smaller space that doesn't permit you both to have territories of your own. Now, functionally you have abandoned Maiyuu for your slum friend's family.. and now Maiyuu is suffering because of his isolated lifestyle. If I was Maiyu, I'd poison you, take the money and what possessions I wanted, and leave.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous4 May 2010 at 23:50
    l dont want to be condescending, BD, with respect, never place anything in the mouth of someone who is having a seizure. Placing a spoon in the mouth can do more harm than good. Remove all objects from around the person for safety and speak calmly to the let them know you are there, allow the patient room and if it lasts for more than a few minutes call an ambulance.
    With love
    Wilks xx

    ReplyDelete

    hendrikbkk5 May 2010 at 02:25
    If my bf would hang around the house all day, without any direction in life, no interests or friends, maybe I would look for entertainment outside also.
    I would advise my bf to get a job, to study or whatever push him forward in life.
    I do understand relationships are complex, especially if backgrounds are so different, but I think Maiyuu has a responsibilty also towards the relationship.
    With regard to Mr Anon his advise to take the money and leave (after poisonning you), I would suggest to do that after payday as at the end of the month the money is tight....

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer5 May 2010 at 05:27
    Chris: I spend time with the slum family to supplement the life I have at home with Maiyuu, which is not enough.

    I didn't come here to spend the day watching American shows on TV; I came here to meet Thais. That is why I pursue a life outside home (and have done, for as long as I have been here).

    For the most part, we are happy in each other's company, ticking along day by day. Sometimes, however, I am away from home for longer than I should be.

    I attempt to apologise and explain, and am told to go away. I can understand his reaction, because he feels unwanted, neglected, and unloved.

    It's not that I have a life outside home which annoys. It is that it seems so much more interesting and important to me than the one I have with him, which is actually not always the case.

    I do appreciate my time with Maiyuu. Sometimes I just can't get home when I want to, which causes us problems.

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bkkdreamer5 May 2010 at 05:45
    Anon 2: The apartment is about the same size as the old one.

    I haven't abandoned Maiyuu; on my work days I spend too much time in his company, if anything. However, on my days off, I like my freedom, like any hot-blooded male.

    Wilks: I had heard somewhere that we should keep our hands and any other objects away from the mouths of people having a fit or seizure. I didn't fetch the spoon, but nor was I about to get into a debate about it, as the man was convulsing messily before our eyes.

    Apart from that, I have few fond feelings for Lort, as regular readers of this blog will know. I couldn't care if he died or not. However, I would rather he do it somewhere else; not in front of the kids.

    Hendrik: Maiyuu does indeed have a responsibility towards the relationship, though he doesn't always think about it in the same way as I do.

    He keeps me fed, pays the bills, buys the groceries and other household items, and does a terrific job on the whole.

    As for the rest, he is happy for me to find my own fun.

    That arrangement suits me too, as I prefer mixing outside home with a different set of people. Who would want to dog the tail of his boyfriend all day?

    I would like him to get out and find a life of his own. He worries that I will miss him, complain about him spending too much time away, or wasting money. He denies himself these things because he worries about how I react.

    It doesn't matter how much I tell him it is not so; Maiyuu likes to punish himself with such thoughts anyway. Ultimately, I have to let him get on with it.

    Re the slum family, we have reached a deal where I try not to bring home my problems with me. If they have made me stressed, the boyfriend doesn't want to hear about it.

    Sometimes, however, I let my feelings get the better of me; I lash out at Maiyuu because the slum family have done something to put me in a bad mood.

    That's the price of pursuing a life outdoors. Maiyuu has the palest shadow of an existence outside home, so can get righteous when I take out my frustrations on him.

    If he had a life of his own, none of this would matter. He probably worries it would cost too much.

    If that's the case, he should find a job. Most of our problems come down to the fact that he won't work.

    In short, I blame him for everything, because as we all know, I'm perfect.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous5 May 2010 at 08:44
    this should be read by alcoholics...teach them what happens to their health sooner or later...i guess you cant really help them with their problem when you have the same one.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous5 May 2010 at 10:25
    After reading your posts for past few months, it seems that you need as much or more help emotionally than either Maiyuu or slum family.

    You call Maiyuu your bf when obviously he is
    little more than your cook, and housekeeper.
    Please describe your definition of a boyfriend.

    Why should he work when you provide food and shelter? Most will always choose pay without work when needs are met. Welfare mentality.

    How many weeks, months, has it been since you had a sexual experience other than with yourself? Chance to massage slum boy's legs; is that enough for you? Or to hold him close in dark alley? You ever hug or kiss Maiyuu? Bf?

    Face it you are as much a basket case as Maiyuu and others in your life that you write about.

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5 May 2010 at 10:33
    Dear BKK, I wonder if u realize how miserable and purposeless ur life really is. With a BF u have abandoned and a crush on a drunken teenager you encourage to be worthless. He will get liver damage from heavy drinking and u seem not to mind ur responsibility for buying liquor for him. U really believe that urs is a normal way to "know" Thai people?
    Regards, Frances

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous5 May 2010 at 13:38
    Bkk I think your selfish and inconsiderate. I've read your blog for over two years mainly to follow your loser life-style. I feel for Maiyuu.. but he's got the ability to change his life if he chooses. The slum family you've adopted.. not so much. Like you, they seem unable to change and abandon their self destructive inclinations. You ignore Ball's addiction to alcohol and promote his drinking of beer and ya dong in order to ingratiate yourself to him. Considering how his father died, your behavior borders on moral negligence. I've always wondered if I knew you, I'd see your world through your eyes.. and have a similar point of view.. or would I see you as a predator from the first-world, who's feeding off the labors and energy of those you try to manipulate.

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer5 May 2010 at 18:32
    My, my, that wasn't nice, was it?

    I spent some time trying to explain things between Maiyuu and I, but it appears to have made no impact whatsoever.

    Where Maiyuu is concerned, a little goes a long way. I can show a little interest in him, and I know he appreciates it.

    We have been together 10 years, and despite occasional doubts on the part of both of us about whether carrying on is still worthwhile, we are solid as a couple. We don't have to jump each other's bones to know how we feel.

    I will leave my comments about Ball and whether I am encouraging his fondness for the brown stuff to a separate response below.

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bkkdreamer5 May 2010 at 19:16
    Anonymous wrote: 'I've always wondered if I knew you, I'd see your world through your eyes.. and have a similar point of view.. or would I see you as a predator from the first-world, who's feeding off the labors and energy of those you try to manipulate.'

    Wonder no longer. We'd have little, if anything in common.

    It's a family thing. It's not just about me, or Ball. He has a girlfriend, and when the two of them are happy and getting along, they are wonderful together.

    He also has a Mum. She calls me to unload about Ball, to ask me about him and what he says or does when she she is not present, and occasionally to seek my advice.

    Early this morning she called about a small drama which occurred last night between Ball, girlfriend Jay and Mum herself. I didn't have to talk, just listen.

    As it happens, I agreed with every word she said, and at the right moments said so.

    Idle taxi driver Lort - now in hospital with a diabetes-related illness, his comatose-like condition little improved - wants no part in this family's life.

    I do. That's the difference, and Mum has spotted it. She talks to me like she would her own partner, if she had one.

    Mum wants a man she can talk to about Mr Ball and his girlfriend. We seldom talk about Mr B, her youngest son, or her daughter Kae. Perhaps she talks about them to someone else, when she feels a need to unload; or maybe they don't cause her as much trouble.

    Mum talked to me for 10 minutes. I told her I'd drop in to see them in early afternoon, and we finished our business.

    I'm doing the family thing. If Mum thought I meant ill by her son, she wouldn't call.

    As for Mr Ball and his fondness for the brown stuff, I do no more to encourage him than would any other friend. In fact, the others are worse.

    The cause of last night's drama? Carer R, who has moved to Yasothorn province in Esan, sent word through a relative that he wanted Ball to visit him there for a four-day stay. To do what? Get stuck into the sauce, of course.

    Mum wasn't keen on him going, as she would have to give him spending money, and her 'partner' Lort has just entered hospital. She can't take care of the toddlers in the household and pay daily visits to him as well.

    'Who will he mix with? He knows no one there other than R himself. He has no idea about the conditions in which they live. He is still a child. How can I let him go?' Mum asked.

    Quite right. I don't want him to go either, and have told him so. When I saw Mr Ball last night, he was resigned to the fact that he should stay at home and help his Mum.

    These are the things we discuss. Occasionally I slip up when we are tossing back the brown stuff, as we both like a drink. Jay usually pulls me up. Once or twice, Mum has questioned my judgement too.

    However, Mum knows that her son is in much safer hands with me than when he is with his ordinary friends. His fondness for the sauce is a complicated issue which needs delicate handling. I don't have the space to explain it here.

    I love Ball, increasingly as a friend. I don't need the brown stuff to gain access to his life, and nor do I need to open my wallet consantly to win over Mum's trust or loyalty.

    Those who argue otherwise are too quick to judge, and perhaps letting their own experiences of this country colour their judgement.

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6 May 2010 at 10:02
    i agree it is moral negligence not to discourage all consumtion of alcohol ...specially while dad is dead from it lort is in a coma cuz of it and the whole family trouble seems to revolve whether the male figures stay sober enough to treat others well and show up for work...but you cant get it cuz you are "on the sauce" too..its your life and it is legal to kill yourself from alcohol...its also legal to furnish alcohol to mr ball whose father dead from alcohol cuz he is 19yrs..dont make yourself out to be saintly to this family...its pure bs

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer6 May 2010 at 17:16
    'Moral negligence'...you people use such big words.

    Mr Ball's problem existed before I came along...it goes back at least 12 months, his mother says. I won't stop him doing it, because it's his life, and her mother gives her consent.

    However, I consult her about it regularly, and together we try to meet his needs on a limited scale while encouraging him to keep himself safe and well.

    I hope it's just a phase. His life appears stuck in a rut, but I am not sure how to introduce him to new experiences.

    I would like to play a sport with him and his brother - badminton, perhaps - anything to get him out of himself. His girlfriend might even like to take him for a game. I'll suggest it to her, and see what she says.

    The football world cup is coming. He might get so absorbed following that competition that he doesn't feel the need to indulge.

    ReplyDelete

    jok8 May 2010 at 01:18
    "I hope it's just a phase. His life appears stuck in a rut, but I am not sure how to introduce him to new experiences."

    dear bk,
    how about something like what i suggested a couple of topics earlier, ie to get him to pursue a course to gain qualification that could eventually land him a proper job. that's only how i can see people lifting themselves out of poverty traps. in such countries, no education... no well paying job, period.

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer8 May 2010 at 04:54
    I suggested ages ago that he might like to return to study. 'I am not ready,' he said, irritated.

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.