Sunday 17 October 2010

Just barge right in



Maiyuu was on my back, massaging my shoulders, a service he performs occasionally when I am in his good books.

Bad boy Kew phone called. I asked Maiyuu to answer the phone. 'Who is it?' said Maiyuu, who is nothing if not blunt.

'Beer', said Kew.

Kew, whose real nickname is Beer but who calls himself Kew to his friends, was taken aback by the strange voice on the phone.

'Maybe that's Kew,' I said.

'Is that Kew? Why not just say so?' Maiyuu said into the phone, sounding even more direct.

Kew was taken aback a second time. 'Who was that guy getting smart?' he said to me, when I finally took the phone off Maiyuu.

'I sound just like a straight guy these days...I don't bother with any of that polite gay stuff when I speak any more,' said Maiyuu, by way of explanation.

Kew has taken up learning guitar, and asked if he could borrow mine.

I hummed and hah-ed. The last time I lent him my guitar, I had to wait weeks before he would return it.

'If it is a problem, don't worry,' said Kew.

Really, he shouldn't have asked.

'That's the problem with Bangkok kids these days - they show no sense of restraint, modesty, or respect for other people's feelings,' complained Maiyuu.

1 comment:

  1. 3 comments:

    Anonymous16 October 2010 at 19:48
    I don't see why he shouldn't have asked, considering that you're his friend. Most likely he doesn't have the means to buy a guitar on his own, so he just tries to find a way to be able to play.

    That doesn't mean that you should have lent him your guitar again, but I don't think he's at fault for asking.

    Alex

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer17 October 2010 at 05:07
    I knew I would have trouble defending this post, as I didn't give enough detail.

    Many years ago, Kew turned up drunk at my condo after an argument with his girlfriend. He was aggressive and unpleasant, and I should have thrown him out, but I was weak.

    He demanded I lend him my guitar. Reluctantly, I agreed.

    The next day, I called his mother to get it back again. I was annoyed about the way he treated me and my belongings (he kicked a few things about, breaking them).

    However, it was to take him many weeks before he agreed to return it.

    I forgave him for the scene at the condo, but have not forgotten the drama inbvolved in getting my guitar back.

    I won't lend it to him again. He can buy one himself for under B1000. Given what happened in the past, he is cheeky even to ask.

    ReplyDelete

    Hendrikbkk17 October 2010 at 17:45
    Or maybe he just wanted to talk to you.....

    Isn't Kew the one who was monk for a while?

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.