Wednesday 13 October 2010

The lax disciplinarian


Ball and I had our first argument in the 10 months we have known each other - over a misbehaving child, no less.

Ball is close to Fresh, one of the household's two toddlers, who last night was crying and throwing tantrum on the living room floor.

After initially ignoring her, Ball picked her up and started making a fuss. When this didn't work, he told her to be quiet, and smacked her bottom lightly - then want back to consoling her again.

The child refused to shut up, and was making such a noise that elder sister Kae came downstairs to pick her up.

As soon as Kae picked her up, Fresh stopped crying. I knew there was nothing wrong with her...she was just drawing attention to herself.

While she was crying, I told Ball several times to ignore her. I asked if I could smack her, and called her a few choice names in English.

Fresh knew I was angry, and when my tone of voice hardened she stepped up the crying another few notches, the way kids like to do.

After Kae took the child away, Ball told me he did not approve of my behaviour. 'You have given Kae a reason to criticise you after you go home tonight,' he said.

'We have never argued before, but I found what you said was just wrong. I regard Fresh as my own daughter and dislike other people disciplining her,' he said.

He also disagreed with the way I called the baby 'ít' in Thai, a common enough reaction when people are annoyed. He said I should have called Fresh by her name.

I defended my corner briefly, but in the end apologised, as I couldn't be bothered. Ball has never challenged me before, and I found the experience upsetting.

Ball apologised to me, though did su surreptitiously, as his girlfriend Jay was in the same room as us, reading.

He wrote me three messages on my cellphone instead: 'I am sorry...I don't want my sister criticising you...can we go back to the way we were?' he asked.

I said we could, and soon after left for home. I have been upset about our little disagreement ever since.

Kids are forever on the lookout for signs of weakness in parents.

If parents console them when they are being bad - or, worst of all, give them treats to shut them up - they are sending the kids the message that it is okay to misbehave.

'Not so long from now, you will get the chance to decide for yourself how kids should be disciplined, as you will have one of your own,' I told him.

'I am pleased this has happened, and you should discuss it with your girlfriend. You will have to decide how you want your child to be raised.'

1 comment:

  1. 8 comments:

    Anonymous13 October 2010 at 19:50
    You were indeed in the wrong there to my opinion. It is none of your business how people discipline their children and when they choose to do so. If you don't like the way they handle the situation, either suck it up or get out of there. Be more Thai man, avoid confrontation...
    Wouter

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous13 October 2010 at 22:37
    I have to agree with Wouter. No matter what you might think, you are still only a visitor.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer14 October 2010 at 04:22
    I am not a mere visitor any more, but like family. An unruly child is everyone's problem, though I stop short of smacking it.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous14 October 2010 at 08:16
    good ball corrected you...that is a sign he is treating you as an equal and not just respecting an elder....you wanted that....the "it" word got him.....thais take that as an insult...even though you might have not done it on purpose

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer14 October 2010 at 08:23
    It is good that he reprimanded me, as I would rather he air his worries than suppress them. I don't mind him treating me as an equal either, as we can hardly be friends without a healthy dose of that.

    As for the 'it' thing, Ball calls Feh the same thing himself.

    'Insult' is too strong a word...it is passed in conversation every day. Anong friends and family, I regard it more as a device for communicating mild displeasure or disapproval.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous15 October 2010 at 22:01
    i stand corrected...i am sure you are far more knowledgable of thai slang and what is appropriate...kids drive me nuts

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous16 October 2010 at 19:51
    I run into the same problem quite often. Friends' children misbehave, their parents do absolutely nothing about it, I feel tempted to smack them but have to restrain myself. Quite unnerving, I feel for you!

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer17 October 2010 at 04:56
    Feh has been good for the last few days. I forgave her quickly enough, and for the most part Ball is terrific with her. He won't let her get away with too much, and is not afraid to scold or smack her lightly if she misbehaves.

    He draws a contrast between his own approach to discplining the kids, and that of his elder sister.

    He reckons his sister is too lax. Ball, on the other hand, believes he has a responsibility to show kids right from wrong.

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.