Friday 18 February 2011

Tempting offer, sleepless nights, lost cause

Chef Maiyuu has cooked up a few desserts lately, almost as if he wants me to cross the 100kg body-weight threshold in style.

He’ll have to try harder...the last time I checked, a day ago, I had lost a little bit, and was down to 98.6kg. I have not yet reached 100kg, which I fear would be the point of no return.

Valentine's khao tom surprise
I used to be handsome. Now, in the eyes of those Thais who like a fulsome farang figure, I am merely ‘cute’ (narak).

-
My body won't let me sleep. Two weeks ago, I spent a fitful night worried about something; I didn't enter the land of nod until 4am.

Since then, my body has reset its clock and now believes that 4am is my normal bed time, even when my eyes are popping out with exhaustion.

It lets me sleep about 4am, but not before. I might have to take a couple of sleeping pills tonight, as this can't go on.

I hate tossing and turning for four hours a night. What is there to think about?

I have no idea, but my head finds enough stuff to occupy my exhausted mind.

-
At his mother’s request, I dropped in to see Ball.

He was heading out for a job interview at a hotel, and looked smart.

His girlfriend Jay, who is pregnant and quit work to prepare herself for the big day about a month ago, saw him off.

‘Would you like to raise him at your place?’ asked Ball’s mother, who seems forever short of money.

Last week, I dropped in briefly most days, only to find her sitting with friends drinking the brown stuff.

A few days passed. On Friday, when I called in again, she proposed I shout the family to a moo kra ta meal (Korean-style bar-b-que).

‘Everyone wants to eat it, including him,’ she said, referring to Ball, who was playing on the computer.

‘How much?’ I asked.

‘About B500 should do it,’ she said.

I left promptly. That’s too much, even if I haven’t seen them in a while. And I was working that night, so I would have no chance to join them.

That night, Mum called, no doubt wanting to know if I was going to drop in with her B500. I ignored it.

She has referred to the money again since. 'I had to pay, because you didn't come!' she said.

Mum would still like me to help, even after the event.

I can’t see the point in giving away money when Ball has yet to find work. Why reward poor behaviour?

Other reasons are that I don’t see them that much any more; and the mother is forever wasting money on the brown stuff, then pleading poverty after the event.

You’re on your own, dear...good luck!

1 comment:

  1. 8 comments:

    Anonymous21 February 2011 at 21:21
    Can you introduce me to these Thais who like a fulsome farang figure, for I am definitely narak? - Ian

    ReplyDelete

    Glenn22 February 2011 at 18:49
    good for you for not enabling them any more. Eventually they will stop asking for money I would guess

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous24 February 2011 at 00:25
    I am beginning to conclude that you no longer have interest in hosting this blog. Am I right?

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer24 February 2011 at 06:11
    Ian: I suspect most foreigners over 50 who visit the Land of Smiles fall into the well-rounded, or 'narak' category.

    We might have to wander around with a sandwich board proclaiming: 'I'm definitely cuter than the next guy.'

    Glenn: I keep hearing this 'enabling' word, and I don't like it. The relationship went far beyond my enabling this young man to drink.

    The mother has gone right off me, it seems, since I turned down the opportunity to shout them to a B500 Korean-style bar-b-que. She does not call any more, even though I have since paid for a bar-b-que for the family on a more recent visit.

    Perhaps she realises she can't ask me for money so easily any more.

    Anon: I am having a busy and stressful week, but hope to resume posting in the next few days.

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer26 February 2011 at 19:01
    I have little time to cater to the needs of this blog at the moment. Readers will just have to bear with me (or if you can't, go elsewhere!)

    In recent weeks I have been ploughing through old posts, getting up into shape to mark BOTM's fifth anniversary, whch falls in April.

    The way things are going, that anniversary might also mark the end of regular posting, as I have neither the time nor the energy to put into blog posts at the moment. So maybe you shold enjoy it while you can.

    ReplyDelete

    dr love27 February 2011 at 07:41
    so should you love

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous28 February 2011 at 19:07
    Dearest BOTM
    Good luck with the upcoming anniversary!
    I have been an avid reader of your blog for the past few years and look forward to your postings so I for one will be sad if you decide not to continue with regular postings!
    I enjoy living in Bkk through your updates!
    Ommi xx

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer28 February 2011 at 19:18
    Thank you, Omni.

    I will come back - it's just a question of when. I am teaching English to a doctor in my condo, which is taking up my free time in the mornings when I normally post.

    He travels to the US for a 10-month fellowship at the end of this month, though hopefully it won't take me that long to free up my time.

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.