Friday 2 January 2009

Love thy neighbour


Boyfriend Maiyuu has spent the last three nights away from home - the first two, at a nearby hotel meditating, and last night with a friend.

This is what he tells me, and I have no reason to think otherwise.

It's New Year, so we all have to do something different.

For three days in the last week, my company has put us on an early-start, early-finish shift. So I have done 'something different' too.

'I hope you do not mind if I am not here. Being alone gives me time to think, and makes me feel better inside and better about my life,' Maiyuu told me two nights ago, on a brief home visit before returning to his meditation hotel.

'I am staying at a cheap place, a hotel around here,' he said.

'Where's your overnight bag?'I asked him before I left.

'Oh, I left it at the hotel last night, so it's still there,' he said.

-
Maiyuu has bought a new German oven, for his baking. When we visited the mall together a few days ago to buy my new glasses, we also took a look at portable ovens.

The oven which he uses for baking is small, unreliable, and old. The new one looks super-duper - what else can I say?

He has yet to use it, but has been busy looking at cookbooks for new ideas.

-
The people who live below my condo celebrate New Year at home. They hire powerful stereos or karaoke machines with a deadening, thumping disco beat.

One place puts up tinsel outside every year. They sit around at a table, or dance.

A girl who joined their party screamed all night long, intoxicated by the noise she was making.

The family opposite raises noisy chickens. Last night, they took over the chicken shed for their New Year celebrations. They had hired their own stereo or some other sophisticated noise projection device, which pumped out music with its own beat.

I have seen both families come to blows before, and thought another commotion was in the offing last night.

How can you enjoy yourself properly, when the family directly opposite is blaring out its own music?

After tossing and turning in bed for two hours, I finally heard someone call out: 'It's time for bed.'

An hour later, by 2.30am, the worst of the noise had died down. I took half a sleeping pill, and the problems of the world faded away.

-
On New Year's Eve, the night before, Maiyuu and I watched fireworks light up the city from a window in our condo.

I held him by his shoulders, as I didn't want him falling out.

Our heads turned here and there like spectators at a tennis match. Over here, a big plume of orange! Over there, candle lanterns floating in the sky!

He is a sweet kid. Maiyuu lit a cigarette, as he tried to contain his excitement.

He had recently showered. I put my nose against his head and sniffed his hair.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your blog. I always enjoy reading it.
    It was in this recent post that I realized Maiyuu does his baking in a small portable oven. I've always wondered if those small ones are really good for that... and from your posts it seems that they are. Would you mind sharing the brand/model number of the oven you just purchased? Thank you and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.