Thursday 19 February 2009

Moving date fixed


Boyfriend Maiyuu reckons we will move to our new condo by Sunday.

In the market, he has spoken to a man with a truck and crew for hire. They will take our boxes from the condo, pack them on their six-wheel truck, then move them our condo in town.

For the five men, we will pay a fee of B300 each. On top of that, we pay B1500 for the hire of the truck. The total price is B3000.

Can they fit it all on their truck? I hope so.

Last night, Maiyuu packed a few boxes of items which live under the stereo and TV. He has yet to start on his kitchen and cooking ware, which will need another two or three boxes.

I am relieved that we finally have a moving date. Yesterday I spent a couple of hours packing things in my room. That's on top of the two or three hours in put in last week.

Why did I think moving would be a simple job?

It's been nine years since I last moved. The last time I packed up my life was shortly before my journey here.

I had to move my things out of my last home before selling it. Some things, I sold; others, I gave to my partner; still others I stored at my parents' house.

Parents end up storing the relics of their children's lives. We park our belongings with Mum and Dad because we are too pre-occupied at the time to sell them.

We are often at a turning point of their lives - about to move cities, start new jobs, embark on overseas adventures.

My parents must have at least a dozen boxes stored under the house belonging to my brother, sisters and me. They sit there in the damp, years after year.

Some go back a long time. The last time I ventured down there, I found university books; clothes which I had forgotten, books I never want to read again, music (LPs, cassettes) which I loved back then but would not contemplate playing now.

What happens when Mum and Dad want to move? They have a big job.

Once, my father called to ask if he could throw out the school notes and books which I had stacked on their shelves of their previous home.

I was overseas, but said Yes. I would never read them again. What was the point?

Here, in the room around me, I have piled unwanted clothes into three large rubbish bags, and unwanted books into a large box.

If no one wants them, I shall throw them all out after Sunday.

It's time to start collecting again. Who knows how many more years will pass before we move again.

I am sure we will have memories to toss out on that occasion, too.

4 comments:

  1. "Boyfriend Maiyuu reckons we will move to our new condo by Sunday."

    Does Thai consult something similar to Chinese Almanac for big events like moving house for example?

    Anyway, according to online TungShing, this Saturday is an auspicious day for moving house. Sunday is neither a good nor bad day for your intended purpose.

    Hope to see some pics of your new love nest na.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maiyuu chose Sunday because the traffic is lighter at weekends. The drive to the new condo can take 40 minutes from where we live.

    However, it is good to know that the planets are not also conspiring against us on that day.

    I will ask Maiyuu to take pics once we have settled in. I am hopeless with a camera, so can't help.

    However, I agree that some pics of the new place would look good on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will the moving crew unpack for you too? Or will you find yourself among a sea of boxes like I did last time we moved?

    I also paid 3,000 baht for a crew and a pickup. Maybe it is the going rate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oii i've moved 4 times in three yaers. I'm sick of it! I hope you get settled in quickly and you are comfortable in the new place.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.