Tuesday 18 August 2009

Forget the river trip, have a banana cupcake instead

Maiyuu's banana cupcakes

As the rain belted down this afternoon, Maiyuu occupied himself by baking a batch of banana cupcakes.

Just a couple of hours before, I was thinking of taking a day trip on a ferry down the river. I am pleased I let Maiyuu talk me out of that.

I am not really a go-places type. Neither of us are; we’d rather muck around at home.

At his request, I test-tasted one cupcake, breaking a self-imposed fast which I observe every day from lunch until 6pm.

I have not stopped eating particular types of food – I just don’t eat for six hours a day. Or if I must eat during those hours, I steal a tiny bit – mainly just fruit.

So far it appears to have made no difference at all to my weight, but I don’t care. I feel virtuous, so it’s good for my state of mind, if not for my stomach line.

-
Maiyuu spent most of yesterday in town, looking for baking ingredients. He visited Sampeng market, and a supermarket which stocks imported ingredients for baking.

Later, he asked me to look up corn syrup and glucose syrup on the internet, to see how they differ.

Contrary to what I posted here earlier (this is amended text), he is able to find corn syrup and glucose syrup in town, even though they are not common. However, citric acid was a trickier find. Pectin powder, a citrus-based stabilising agent used in jellies and jams, he couldn't find at all.

'Staff at a couple of places told me that Thais don’t use them, so they don’t bother keeping them in stock,’ said Maiyuu.

‘Most Thais don’t know what these things are.’

1 comment:

  1. 8 comments:

    Anonymous18 August 2009 at 05:31
    You might suggest to Maiyuu that he try Villa in Langsuan for cornstarch. I got some there a few weeks ago. It was labelled with the British name, cornflour. Don't know if they have corn syrup though, but worth a look.

    Other possibility is the Gourmet market at Emporium - it seems to have a lot of food ingredients aimed at the expat market.

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer18 August 2009 at 06:47
    Thank you. He did try one of the Villa stores -but perhaps not the Lang Suan branch. I will suggest he give it a go.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous18 August 2009 at 12:39
    Not eating after 6pm is best for dieters l think!!

    Maiyuu's cakes look yummy....l'll have 2 because l'm not dieting, lol ;)
    Wilko

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous19 August 2009 at 00:58
    I truly enjoy your blog and the pictures you post. I hate to disappoint you but not eating for 6 hours a day will not result in weight loss. You must decrease your total daily caloric intake; a period of a few hours with low glycemia is not enough.
    Take care
    Fran

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer19 August 2009 at 07:29
    Thank you, Fran. That's depressing news, but at least I can go back to afternoon eating again.

    ReplyDelete

    William19 August 2009 at 09:28
    Perhaps there are some alternatives out there? But in Kuala Lumpur, these things are becoming common with the popularity of specialty baking supplies stores.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous19 August 2009 at 12:37
    As one potential clue, there are over twenty cupcakes there. If you are the only one consuming them, you will get all those calories- as well as the other foods that are being produced (which from pictures in the blog seem pretty heavy on sugar and not particularly healthy).

    Sounds like a gym and a diet are in order for you. Would also suggest you consult a counsellor to see if you are eating compulsively or addictively; if that's the core issue you're not going to make much sustainable progress until you address it.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous20 August 2009 at 04:46
    Your poompooey will become ooun maak pretty soon I reckon.

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.