Sunday 6 February 2011

Shop 'til you drop, save a rose for me

I can't shop to save myself, but my boyfriend knows how to do it.

Life is seldom dull. These days, every time I come home from work, we have a new purchase.

Maiyuu the shopper has a good eye. In recent days, he has bought a water purifier, digital weighing scales (for me, not his food), and library lamp.

Sometimes he will dart off on his pushbike. For heavy items, he will take a taxi, or ride on the bus.

He shops alone, but the experience gives him pleasure, and he hopes I will enjoy his purchases too.

For the most part, I do.

None of these items are things we need, which makes we wonder if we are wasting money. But they are fun nonetheless, as they help decorate our gay household and bring colour into our lives.

He is also doing creative things around home, including erecting on the balcony a hanging towel rail made from rope, and a plant watering device, made from up-ended water bottles, screws, rope, and clear plastic pipe.

Maiyuu the gardener controls the flow of water into his hanging plants with the aid of a plastic lock which fits around the hose.

Maiyuu's home-made watering device
My busy householder's interest in hanging devices has even extended to cooking oil.

When I returned from work last night, I noticed that with the aid of Maiyuu's ubiquitous rope and screw contraption, he had erected an upended bottle of oil over a cooking pan. Now, when he needs oil, he need only reach above, and squeeze.

Pictured:  Recent creations from the chef’s kitchen, including flawless custard set in pumpkin, crunchy pizza made with Japanese cheese (of all things), and a silky crème bruille.

-
Ball and his family are well. As a largely absentee dad, what more can I say?

I seldom visit any more. If his mother calls, I will drop in. We might see each other briefly once every few days.

Ball is still out of work, his girlfriend pregnant with a glow.

I do not ask about his life, as I do not want the headache. I chat to his mother, play with the kids, and leave.

When I dropped in yesterday, his younger brother Beer was flat on his back, bouncing the younger of the two kids on his bare chest.

Mr B grows more handsome by the day, and unlike his elder brother has a job, as a cook at a hotel restaurant. Good on you, lad.

I watched, chatted briefly to Mum, who was picking her way through a bunch of roses, and left.

I like it this way...life is too short to take on their problems. Let them sort out their fragrant lives themselves.

Pictured: Maiyuu's pizza; creme brulee; custard pumpkin.

1 comment:

  1. 2 comments:

    Michael Lomker6 February 2011 at 07:34
    >fragrant lives

    Clever word choice; I like it. Sounds like things are going well. I could use some of your weather about now. I have a trip to Vegas in a few weeks so that'll have to do.

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer6 February 2011 at 08:30
    Than you, Michael. I hope you enjoy your trip.

    The weather is getting hotter. I fear the cool days we have enjoyed lately are coming to an end.

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.