Saturday 13 September 2008

The beauty of trains, dogs, chickens

Scenes from Talad Phlu, above and below:






'So - are moving, or not?' the boyfriend asked this morning, as he made himself an omelette.

I was looking in the freezer for ice, to add to my drink.

I drink when I write posts for this blog, because it helps me think. Boyfriend Maiyuu doesn't like me drinking, probably because his parents died of alcoholism-related illnesses.

'We have many things to consider - the cost of living closer to town is likely to be higher,' I said.

I am thinking not just of motorcycle taxis, of course. I mentioned them the other day. What about a trip to the dentist?


My partner was not convinced.

'What does the dentist have to do with it?' he asked.

I forgot. He doesn't do dentists.

We were talking about this ill-conceived plan of mine to move to a condo closer to my work, in the centre of town.


When I raised it a few days ago, boyfriend Maiyuu was uninterested. However, as I cooled on the idea in the hours and days following, his interest perked up.

Now Maiyuu thinks I was never genuine about what he suspects is actually a good idea. Maybe I was just teasing him, or raising his hopes for nothing.

'The condo we live in now has nothing good about it,' he said.

'It was you and your friends who introduced me to this place eight years ago - remember?' I said.

We live in Talad Phlu, an old fresh market on the Thon Buri side of Bangkok.

Actually, this place still does have things going for it. Yes, we have to listen to trains rumbling past on the railway line just below us, about 100 times a day. We get the sound of kids crying, and hens making hen noises along the railway line. Dogs bark, people fight.

On the plus side, we are within walking distance of a shopping mall, and live in a lively market, where I can buy food at all hours of the day.

I spend more time outdoors than the boyfriend, who is like a hermit. He might surface once a day, to do a little shopping in the market. I go down half a dozen times a day, for walks, to buy groceries, travel to work.

I need only spend 10 minutes looking at Thais going about their business down there and I know it would be hard to leave.

Here, Thais can be themselves. They mingle in the market, go to school, swim in the canal, wait for buses home.

I know people in that market. Here, is an internet shop where I used to teach English. There, is the shop where I buy roses for the boyfriend. And further on is a Chinese-owned shop where I admired a youngster who served honey on toast and warm milk.

Would I get the same enjoyment watching them go about their business if I lived amid the hustle and bustle of the tourist district?

A work friend, farang C, told me about the condo where he lives. At first, the idea of renting at the same condo appealed. It is the only one I have considered, as it has my friend's recommendation. Several other people from work live at the same condo, so I know it can't be that bad.

However, even farang C says that in that part of town he has trouble finding places where he can relax or observe life passing by.

Once he leaves home, he has to keep walking, such is the pace of life where he lives.

Life goes much faster. He has no time to watch. He does his business, then goes home again.
A reader suggested I should look for some other place to live, in between here and work.

For that, Maiyuu and I would have to make a dedicated inspection of condos along the route between here and town. That will not happen, as he is too lazy to leave home, unless his work or friends call. He does not do anything outdoors with me.

I would have to do all the work myself, and I am unwilling.

'Tonight while I am at work, I will probably go and see farang C at his condo. I will ask a motorcycle taxi to take me.

'At his place, I will take pictures on my cellphone camera, and bring them home to show you.

'Then, if you like it, I will call his condo office on Monday and ask if they have any spare places for rent. Happy?' I asked.

'Up to you...I don't make the decisions,' he replied, rolling over on his bed. It was time for another sleep.

Why would we want to leave all this?

Thanks to this site for the images.

5 comments:

  1. You are the one who wanted to move first, and you are the one making the decision to move or not.

    So I guess he's just submitting to you and follows wherever you go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Takashi: True. And after seeing the place today, I have decided that we probably will move.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your description of where you live now and all that is happening around you sounds captivating. I have lived downtown above stores on busy streets in the past. There is a quality to living above a market place. My friends always came to my place to spend hours sitting on the balcony peering down at the activity below. As would I every morning drinking coffee and reading the paper. Checking out the delivery guys too. Gay bar was two blocks away. Once you know the shop keepers, they deliver to your place with just a shout out the window. Cooking a slow stew with the windows open caught the attention of many passer-by. Always room at the table for a young hansom man.

    I know live in the suburbs. I never leave my apartment. Don't know the people living around me. Have to drive to everything. No eye candy except when they cut the grass. Pay the rent by dropping a envelop in a box. Before, the landlord would greet each renter and inquire on any of our needs or repairs. He was always around. Sweeping and touching up the place. Chasing away low life's and solicitors. I guess that is considered the same thing?

    Condo-mono is a step up in quality living, but the trade off... That's hard to judge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neil: Thank you for your evocative description of life in a busy market.

    My market is much slower than, say, the flower market in Bangkok, but it is still an interesting place to walk around.

    I have enjoyed living here for the last eight years, even if I spent most of that time indoors to escape the heat.

    In a city as hot as Bangkok, residents will inevitably spend most of their days inside, if they can.

    That is why my living environment is ultimately more important than what goes on outside.

    After seeing farang C's condo today - which I shall describe on the blog tomorrow - I am sure that the time is right to move. I am looking forward to telling the BF about it. I hope he shares my excitement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. True, a good slightly chilled glass of red wine, and an idea make great stories. I wish you great luck in location decisions, but they mostly have to meet your creative demands!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.