Tuesday 21 October 2008

Friends: It's still a gay song to me


A fan of Thai singing duo Golf and Mike attended their city concert the other night (a post on a Thai webboard tells me), where they joined a couple of young women singers to perform a version of the pretty pop song, I Want to Know, But Don't Want to Ask  (อยากรู้...แต่ไม่อยากถาม).

He complained that he could not get 'in' with the song, because he kept thinking of a version of the same song made for the gay thriller, Friends.

I don't know who sang the song originally. I have found one version by Bomb Yuthanan, and Urban Lullaby from the Thai drama, Awejee Si Chompuu (อเวจีสีชมพู), so perhaps it's them. 

However, for many fans, the version which comes to mind most readily is the more recent one sung by Pop from Calories Blah Blah for that gay movie Friends, otherwise known as Bangkok Love Story, directed by Poj Anon.

Poj liked it, and asked Pop to re-make it. Scenes from the movie accompany the MV for the song. It, a policeman who has lost his way, looks for his hitman lover Mehk atop a grotty inner-city building in Bangkok, where the pair have taken refuge from Mehk's bad-boy past.

The lyrics take on a new meaning in a gay context. 'I want to know (if you love me), but am afraid that if I ask, you won't love me any more.'

Another Poj critic said he could just about cope with watching It calling out plaintively for Mehk, who is repulsed by his own gay feelings and is trying to hide from the man.

However, he could not handle the sight of them wandering around the rooftop together in their white briefs. 'Only Poj could get away with that,' he grumbled.

Put look that, it almost sounds like a compliment. Poj is also well-known for his kathoey comedies, such as Hor Taew Tak, Cheerleader Queens and Spicy Beauty Queen in Bangkok.

Another poster whinges that for him, Poj has now 'ruined' two songs - by associating them with gay themes, presumably. The other song which he previously liked is by Academy Fantasia 2's Wan Thanakrit, singing Ra Ya Plodpai (ระยะปลอดภัย). That one's not bad either, even without an accompanying gay theme. 

I can't imagine what Golf and Mike singing the melodic I Want to Know, but Don't Want to Ask would be like. 

I associate the song first with the manly actors from Poj's movie, not those scrawny, wanna-be rap-artist teens. Some songs are just too good to be sung by kids.

3 comments:

  1. I know the song it's a really good song even though I don't understand a single word of it. The movie (Bangkok love story) is a really good one. Just want you to know I like to read your blog it's giving me some inspirations to my life, how life could be so unpredictable sometimes and I respect your honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen this tragic movie with english subtitles. Can you give the lyrics (romanized) of the theme song.

    what is the title of the theme song?

    My understanding is "Calories Blah Blah" is the singer?

    Je l'apprecie. Merci

    ReplyDelete
  3. yup at the "bangkok love story" movie calories blah2 is the singer.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.